Wednesday 26 March 2014

The library

Whilst Daisy and I were in Windhoek the library was re-painted and re-tiled. Unfortunately I don't have a 'before' photo to show you, but trust me when I say that it wasn't a very nice looking room. The walls were painted this very dark red/brown colour which made the room look really small and dark. But with the newly painted white walls and lightly coloured tiles it looks a million times better, and far bigger as well!




Some donated books from a charity - 'Books Abroad' had arrived and so my first job was to unpack them, record them all in the 'accession register' (the book where all the library books are catalogued - no fancy computer system here!) I had to put coloured tape on all of the books to colour code where they belong:







Red = English
Green = Afrikaans
Black = Non-fiction
Yellow = Fiction









And then I had to start putting them all into place on the shelves. As it turned out it's quite a time - consuming system! I took a photo at the end of each day's work so that I could record the progress I was making :)




Of course like everything in this place I soon began to encounter problems. Like the fact that some of the shelves keep on collapsing, sending books flying everywhere (normally on my head) and almost giving me a heart attack! And now the teachers insist that this is all of the books for the library, even though according to the register there should easily be another couple of hundred! The hunt for the missing books continues...



No comments:

Post a Comment