Sunday 9 March 2014

Events in the hospital

So, hospital life turned out to be more entertaining, frustrating and ridiculous then I would have ever expected. Here are some things that happened:

1.) Daisy got some new stalkers. The young son and daughter of the lady with cancer. The little girl would just sit or stand by Daisy's bed and talk and talk and talk and talk. She would even wake Daisy up just to talk to her. The boy got Daisy's number and started continually texting and phoning her!

2.) The nurses and doctors proved that they were nearly all idiots. Many examples of multiple  nurses asking exactly the same questions two minutes apart from each other. The surgeon supposedly in charge of her case rocked up one day and announced that Daisy could be discharged the next day since she was feeling so much better. In fact Daisy's pain had only gotten worse, she was on more drugs than ever and she had another procedure booked for the following week. What an idiot.

3.)  There was the day of the scan where Daisy wasn't allowed any food or drink for over twelve hours before. The people doing the scan then informed her that she had actually been allowed to drink water the whole time, meaning that her de-hydration and splitting headache were completely unnecessary. A nurse then arrived and demanded a urine test. Which of course Daisy wasn't able to provide since she had no fluids in her system. I think it was possibly the funniest argument I've ever seen Daisy have! It ended with the nurse bringing her half a cup of water and then getting angry when 5 minutes later Daisy still hadn't provided it!

4.) I got yelled at. Many times in fact. Once because I had dared to sit on Daisy's bed - even though I did this every single day without complaint. Another time was when I made Daisy laugh and a nurse came in and yelled at me because I was being too loud and I was disturbing everybody else with my 'noise'. I hadn't realised that a silent and depressing atmosphere was desired!

5.) Daisy's rants were admittedly quite hilarious as well. There were the nurses she hated and complained about constantly, like the three who each just walked off without helping her when she asked for pain killers at 4 am. It must have been an incredibly busy time of the day for them. There were the stupid phone calls from the insurance company, repeatedly asking her how she was. There were her stories about her crazy roommate (when she was moved out of the room with the lady with cancer) who decided that she wanted to dance and so kept on ripping her tubes out of her arms and jumping out of bed.

So overall it was a very strange experience for both of us. Although I must confess that I was very relieved that I was the one able to go home to some peace and quiet at the end of the day. I think if I had been the one in Daisy's position I would have attempted an escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment