Sunday 9 March 2014

Hospital life

That first day Daisy was in hospital was probably the worst. We were both exhausted from the day before, and had no idea what was going on. Daisy had another G-scope except this time she wasn't fully sedated and so was in far much more pain and I wasn't allowed to go with her. The good thing was she was sharing her room with a very nice lady. She was a cancer patient and had a steady stream of visitors who also chatted to us and tried to make sure that we were ok. One lady even offered me a bed at her house and said that I was welcome to stay with  her for as long as I wanted - the kindness and generosity of some people is truly incredible.


When boredom hits...
That evening our insurance company first assist managed to get me booked into a hotel called 'Hotel Pension'. It was within walking distance to the hospital which was of course, essential, and they were going to pay for it (result!) So I set off to try to find it. Except it was late at night which meant that there were no taxi's around to help me find it. So I went back inside and asked the hospital staff until I found a man who knew where it was.

He told me that it was about a 10 minute walk straight down the road, to the building with all the flags outside it. I knew the one he meant and so set off. When I got there I was told that I was at the wrong Hotel Pension. Embarrassingly enough I burst into tears right there at reception (my Mummy later said that I was simply because I was so exhausted and she was right). The ladies at reception were horrified at my reaction and desperately tried to calm me down, reassuring me that there was room at their hotel and that I was welcome to stay there. When I was eventually able to explain that I was already booked into a hotel but I didn't know where it was, they concluded that the insurance company must have booked me into 'Hotel Pension Eros' (Eros is the name of that area in Windhoek) and that it was simply down the road. So with more directions I once again set off, and this time I managed to find the correct hotel!

After a long nights sleep I must confess that I did feel a lot better. Daisy however, was not quite so lucky. The nurses had woken her continuously throughout the night when they went to check her vitals, and then woke her up on the hour every hour from about 5 or 6 o'clock with various messages and requests. Meaning that she was very tired and annoyed!

So life began to follow a pattern. I would get up and have breakfast at the hotel. Then I would go to the hospital where Daisy would have a rant about all the annoying and stupid things the nurses and doctors had been doing. I would try to cheer her up and then I would head off to the nearest Mall to buy myself some food, have a little wander around the shops to waste some time, and would buy food, magazines and credit for Daisy. One day I bought her a necklace with a smiley face on it - so she would always be smiling even if she, um...wasn't!

Then I would head back to the hospital where I would eat my yummy food and we would chat and read magazines. After a while I would go back to my hotel where I would spend the evenings making the most of the wifi and watching tv :)

No comments:

Post a Comment