Sunday 30 March 2014

Athletics competition

The first Saturday I was back the secondary school had an athletics competition. During the last competition while Daisy and I were away in Windhoek, Sachi had entrusted her camera to one of the learners, who had unfortunately  changed the settings, meaning that most of the photos were ruined. So I offered to be the official photographer of the day :P





Unfortunately that meant getting up early and spending most of the morning directly in the sun - consequentially I spend most of my time hiding underneath a shawl! It was amazing to watch though. There was a proper track laid out and everything! And surprisingly, even though it had been measured out by people shuffling their feet long in the dirt, it looked quite professional :)

Since it was a really sunny day I couldn't stay for the whole event otherwise I would have got burnt. I watched the running which was really quite incredible. Our kids are really good runners, and they were beating the other team by BIG distances. And of course it was all done without shoes. I also wonder what they would run like on a proper track, with proper running shoes on.




I watched the high jump as well which is always amusing. The other team hadn't brought any competitors for high jump  so it ended up just being a practice for our kids. But still, they seemed to be having fun and my learners certainly enjoyed watching the older boys jump.






One thing I do think is sad is that because of lack of funds, our kids are limited in what they can do. For example, schools like ours cannot afford hurdles or javelins, and so it tends to mainly be white learners who compete in those areas. And sadly it just turned out that our kids have been practicing with shot-puts which are the wrong weight!




But Sachi has truly done an amazing job training these kids. Which was shown by the fact that they absolutely thrashed the other school! WHOO! And miraculously I managed to not get burned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment