Wednesday 19 March 2014

Back to school

So since coming back to school I have been incredibly busy! I've been making sticker charts for each of my six classes which takes a surprising amount of time. I still haven't even made a start on the Grade 5 sticker charts! (I'll put photos up once I've finished them all)

In BIS I've been teaching the children the rules of how to behave in the library and rules on how to handle the books. Once had written it all down I got them to fold a piece of paper in half, design a front cover, and write all the rules inside their 'book'. I'm hopefully going to be able to make a wall display of all their work next week.

In Arts I got the children to do lessons on movement. First we did examples of facial expressions - they particularly liked the game where they got in pairs with one of them pulling faces and their partner having to guess what expression it was. Then we did body movement. All the leaners walked around the back of the classroom and had to move to the words that I was calling out. Unsurprisingly their favourite words included 'fat', 'old person', 'loud' and 'fast'! What they did not like as much was me making them explain what they did. Original thoughts are honestly not really their strong point! (A society that only ever gets them to copy down off the board will do that to you!)

I finished off the lesson by making them think about animal movement. We discussed why animals move differently from human beings - 'Miss, they don't have brains!' ....... um, not quite! Each of the leaners then chose their favourite animal, wrote down how many legs it has and how it moves. Once they had finished that they were allowed to stand up and pretend to be their favourite animal. I think my favourite was one boy who started flapping his arms about and claimed he was a butterfly! Much to their delight they were then allowed to draw their favourite animal :)

Now I'm beginning to teach them about colour and pattern. So far I've taught them about primary, secondary and tertiary colours (easier said then done!) and they have started making colour wheels. They certainly keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment