Saturday 5 April 2014

It's raining, it's pouring!


Last week there was a MASSIVE storm in Tses. Now when I say that it 'rains' in Tses that normally means a 5/10 minute drip. But this was a proper torrent - as you can see from the pictures. It rained for most of the night and the morning of the following day, meaning that the whole area was completely flooded.
Since the kids couldn't be trusted to move around in the rain, they had to stay in one classroom whilst the teachers moved around to find their classes - added chaos! The learners couldn't quite seem to understand why I was so happy at being soaked to the skin. When I tried to explain that this was the weather in England, and that it rains like this for most of the year, they looked at me in disbelief. When I tried to explain the extent of the flooding England had just suffered I told 'Miss, you are telling an untruth!'


The chaos continued after school had finished. The strip of land directly outside the school gate was completely flooded, meaning that the learners basically had to wade across a small river to get to their homes!







I found it amazing how quickly the land flooded. The earth here is so dry that at first, the water simply didn't get absorbed. But by the next day all of the water you can see here was completely gone - quite incredible really!








And of course as soon as I took my camera out and started taking photos, the kids came running, desperate for me to 'catch them a photo'! Possibly one of the most amazing things I've seen here at school!

















1 comment:

  1. Once again great photos - not sure our children cheer so much when it rains!

    ReplyDelete