Friday 6 June 2014

Victoria Falls

 
 We spent a few days in Livingstone, Zambia. We got there by InterCape, a bus service which goes all around Namibia, South Africa, and Zambia. It  took us about 14 hours to get there, but it was really worth it.
















Livingstone had an absolutely amazing outdoor market, which we went to everyday, and I managed to get presents for family and friends. We, of course, visited Victoria Falls and I decided to do the bungee jump :)







I actually did a combo of activities. First there was a zipwire across the river, which was nice and relaxing, and provided an interesting view! Then came the bungee jump. I'm not ashamed to admit that standing there, waiting for the moment of falling, I was absolutely terrified. The staff were really kind and supportive, and managed to convince me not to chicken out.





They hold your arms out to the side (I suspect so that you don't start desperately trying to grab something to cling onto) and then they count down: 3, 2, 1, BUNGEE! I got told that you need to dive as far out as you can, which apparently makes the experience better.






The first dive I found the most scary, although once I felt the pull of the rope and knew that I wasn't about to fall to my death, it was quite enjoyable :) although the headrush was rather uncomfortable I must admit. The Vic Falls bungee jump is apparently the third tallest in the world, 111 meters of African air!

I then did the gorge swing. You literally have to step off the platform, and drop for 70 meters until finally you begin to swing back and forth. In a way I found this the most enjoyable, as the swinging motion was quite relaxing and it was amazing being so close to the river.







Sophie and I also went to see the Falls themselves. Unfortunately I didn't manage to actually see much of the waterfall. It was high tide season and there had been an unusual amount of rain, which meant that the river was very full. This, in turn, meant that there was a lot of water vapour - which meant that we couldn't really see the falls.






The consequence of such a lot of water was that all water activities were out of the question. A shame, since I had been looking forward to doing the white water rafting. But oh well :) it was still an absolutely incredible day.










No comments:

Post a Comment