Monday 9 June 2014

A look back at my year

It's pretty obvious to anyone who has heard anything about my year, that it didn't go quite to plan. But nothing in my life every really seems to! Not that i'm complaining of course, life would be very boring if it was predictable.

I've been asked by people whether I would recommend Project Trust to other people. And the truth is, I think that I would - despite all of the trouble and the upset. I had an incredible year away, there is no denying that, and I have made an incredible friend who I hope I will have for life. I was so lucky when it came to my partner, my year would have been so much harder without Daisy and all the funny moments we had together.

The problems that arose during my year came from a number of places. The disorganization of Namibia as a country, the difficulty I experienced with my host and the teachers at my school, the nature of Tses, and the nature of our children. It would be wrong of me to say that my problems were all the fault of Project Trust, because that simply wouldn't be the case. 

Everyone experiences problems, and everyone comes up again obstacles in their year away. It was just unfortunate that Daisy and I had SO many of them. But the memories I cherish are those of us sitting outside on the porch with Sachi, singing our favorite songs,  the lessons which went really well, the moment my kids told me that they loved me and that I was their favorite teacher. 

So yes, I would recommend Project Trust. They have set something up which I truly believe is so worthwhile, and an extraordinary way to spend your gap-year. I would just warn people, be careful about the country you choose, and be aware that problems are inevitable. Life is different for everyone, and our years away are no different from that. I have no doubt that for some people, their year away will have been problem free. I regularly see on facebook, my fellow Project Trust volunteers declaring their love for their country and their project, and stating how they never want to leave.

Problems are inevitable. But so are the good times. That is the important thing to remember. I just wanted to say, thankyou to everyone who has followed me during my year away. To those who helped me to go, and those who sent encouraging messages while I was out there. I'm sorry that it took so long for me to finish my blog, but i'm finally here :)

And just to let you know, I have decided to create a new blog, documenting my attempts to fundraise for the children in Tses. So if you're interested and would like to have a look, the address is: http://aplacecalledtses.blogspot.co.uk/

So, that's it. My year is over, my blog done. It's been one hell of a journey :)

'We are each on our own journey. Each of us is on our very own adventure; encountering all kinds of challenges, and the choices we make on that adventure will shape us as we go: these choices will stretch us, test us and push us to our limit; and our adventure will make us stronger than we ever knew we could be.'
Goodbye, Lulu

No comments:

Post a Comment