Thursday 5 June 2014

The last day of school

Leaving Tses and was a complete mix of emotions. On the one hand I was so happy to be leaving, and excited to be going on my holidays -and of course, to get back home. But on the other hand, leaving some of my learners, who I completely adored, was really difficult, especially when they were asking me not to leave.




I spent the day giving out last minute prizes to my learners, returning stray books to their owners and generally saying my farewells. I had a couple of sad moments with my kids asking me not to leave, but I also had one really happy moment. One of the teachers from the secondary school came over to me and told me that, despite not talking to me very much, he had seen how much I had done for the kids. That he knew it wasn't easy for me, but that he really appreciated what I had been doing and that  he hoped I had a happy and fulfilling time back in England.

It really meant a lot to me. It was the first time since being in Namibia that an adult had something kind or positive to me, and it was the first time that somebody had actually said that they appreciated what we were trying to do.

The kids had an assembly before they left for their holiday, they sang their national anthem, their school anthem, and some of their traditional songs. The lower primary we're delighted when I started taking some photos of them (as per usual) and of course as soon as school was finished, the kids were running for the hills :D


To my delight, some of the kids stayed behind to give me one last, final hug. They are the people I will truly miss, and the reason that I stayed there for as long as I did. I miss them, even after such a short time away from them, and I just hope that one day I'll be able to go back to visit them.


No comments:

Post a Comment