Tuesday 4 February 2014

Windhoek continued

Daisy and I were on our own in Windhoek for almost a week. We were meeting up with some of the others to travel and Windhoek was the logical place to meet. Daisy and I spent time relaxing in the pool - which seemed like complete luxury to us, reading, playing games of pool, catching up on sleep, chatting to other people staying in the hostel.

We met a hilarious old man from England who was staying at the hostel with his young Namibian wife. He was moaning (in an amused way) about how she wanted another pair of shoes, despite her proudly informing us that she already had over two hundred pairs of high heels alone - Daisy's idea of heaven!

We explored Windhoek, and went to the indoor craft market that everybody kept on telling us about. It was truly incredible, three floors covered with lots of little stalls selling traditional African objects and crafts. Daisy  and I attempted to do the sensible thing of going around all the stalls once to compare prices and see what we liked, but of course there was simply way too much that we wanted! We've both decided that we'll go back there when we're about to go home to England, and spend all of our left over money buying things :)

Unfortunately our attempts to avoid James the American didn't go as smoothly as we would have liked! One evening we got chatting to this hilarious girl, standing in the kitchen we were soon all in hysterics. At 10 o'clock she excused herself, since she had a Skype date with a friend. The next morning Daisy went ahead of me to see if the computer was free (free internet - brilliant system!). A minute later I followed and found a very strange sight.

James the American was stood up glaring at Daisy, who was stood at the other side of the room looking close to tears. Three men stood in-between them looking very angry. It was the moment when, if I was in a movie, I would have said '...I've missed something haven't I!'

Turned out that as Daisy walked past James he muttered something about her. The conversation went something like this:
Daisy: Sorry, did you say something?
James: You were disturbing everyone last night
Daisy: Um...i'm not sure that that was me
James: Yes you and the other girl with the long hair. You kept everyone awake all last night, making noise in the kitchen
Daisy: Oh, that definitely wasn't us because we went to bed at 10
James: Are you calling me a liar? Because I would kill a man for calling me a liar.

At that point James stood up and starting walking towards Daisy. Nicely enough three guys jumped in between the two of them - I assume to protect her if the idiot tried anything. And then I walked in! As always my timing is superb :P

 Sitting outside Daisy and I discussed how she had managed to get a death threat already and we weren't even a week through our holidays! Nicely enough though, over the next couple of days lots of people - both men and women, came up to us saying that they wouldn't let James do anything, that he was an idiot (although they tended to use more colourful language than that!) and that everybody hated him anyway. It was nice to feel like we had some support for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment