Tuesday 4 February 2014

Our first few days in Windheok - we made an enemy :)

Well, Windhoek was certainly not boring it has to be said. Daisy and I managed to find a KFC (the next best thing after McDonalds and the only real fast food option) although I quickly remembered why I don't actually like eating there. We went to the Mall and did some shopping, and we even managed to track down a cinema and go to watch a movie :)

We also managed to make a rather scary enemy. Yay for us! The first night in the hostel we were put in a four bed room. The other two beds were occupied but when we went to sleep there was still no sign of our room mates. Then at three o'clock in the morning our bedroom door was kicked open rather violently!

 Now, when we went to sleep Daisy and I were rather cold. Tses is one of the hottest places in the whole of Namibia, and in comparison Windhoek was quite simply, cold. Since we had a fan in the room we decided to close the windows. It was also the logical thing to do as whenever Daisy gets bitten by a mosquito she gets a reaction and the bite swells up.

When the door was kicked open we both woke up, rather shocked. It was too dark to see the guy properly but we could both tell that it was a tall man. Who was angry. Very angry. He started having a massive drunk rant - most of which is too vile to write. But it went along the lines of 'who the **** closed the windows? what ******* right do you have to do that? Don't you dare close these ******* windows every again.'

At this point I must confess that I just lay there in shock, not quite believing what the guy was saying. In an attempt to calm the guy down Daisy said (in a very calm and apologetic tone) 'oh i'm sorry. It's just that we're both cold and I get really bad reactions to mosquito bites so we decided to close the window.' Well the guy was not happy with this. 'I don't ******* care if you get reactions. I've been here for three ******* months, who the **** do you think you are? The bugs can ******* eat you alive for all I ******* care.' And then he stormed out of the room.

Well Daisy and I quickly agreed that the guy was a bloody lunatic and that tomorrow morning we would have to ask to be moved. However, after half an hour the guy still hadn't returned so I decided to shut the windows again. Bad move. 'HOW DARE YOU ******* SHUT THESE WINDOWS? I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU DO IT AGIN I WILL MAKE YOU SORRY YOU LITTLE *****' Delightful.

At that point Daisy and I both left the room. We decided to go find a security guard and ask him if we should be fearing for our lives. We were quickly informed that it was James the American, a guy who everybody hated and complained about. But that no, he probably wouldn't murder us in our sleep. Still, the next morning we quickly moved into the 10 bed dorm where we hoped we would be able to avoid our new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment