Wednesday 19 February 2014

Change of plans!

Since we could no longer go to Cape Town for Christmas, we had to come up with a different plan. We decided (after much discussion) that we would simply go back up to Swakop. After all, there was the beach, nice restaurants, shops, activities and it wasn't too expensive. So the others all travelled up. However I had to stay in Windhoek for another day, waiting for my boyfriend James to arrive (the poor guy had had to book an emergency flight to Namibia, and thus the amazing hotel room he had booked in Cape Town was going to remain empty).

It was truly amazing seeing him though, and the next day we travelled up to Swakop. We spent time at the beach - although the water was VERY cold! We went to Napolitano which was an amazing Italian restaurant in the middle of town that everyone recommended. We managed to find this incredible little market where James was quickly introduced to Namibian styled selling - where they walk after you tying to convince you to look at the things they're selling (it gets very annoying, very quickly).

The morning of Christmas day was spent opening presents and relaxing in the hostel. We were staying at the Skeleton Beach Backpackers once again, and the lady in charge was truly so lovely. She gave me a massive hug when she saw me and announced that she had an idea, since it was Christmas why didn't everybody cook their food and then eat it together, sharing if they wanted to. It was a lovely idea (although one that didn't actually happen in the end).

We met up with the others on the beach and spent some time there, chatting and laughing. While in Tses, Daisy and I had made bracelets for everybody which thankfully they seemed to like. Due to the fact that there were no stockings available I had to give Daisy her present in one of my socks (clean, I assure you). I must admit, I was very relieved that she liked the presents that I had bought for her! She in turn bought me a massive cuddly toy turtle - I personally think she just wanted to laugh at my struggles to fit it in my bag!


In the evening James and I cooked ourselves a Christmas Dinner. We had fried chicken, with onions and peppers, smothered in a lovely chilli sauce (admittedly which came out of a bottle) and coca cola. Perhaps not the most traditional of dishes, but it was delicious nonetheless. Probably because I didn't let James anywhere near the cooking - he has a tendency to burn things. Even bacon!

We even had some evening entertainment - which came in the form of the massive group of people from Botswana, who were managing to annoy everybody else in the hostel. Even the owner, who came over to chat to us and just ended up ranting about her 'irritating guests'.

We both got phone calls from out families, and I was delighted to be passed around the dinner table. It was a request I had made before I had even left. Last year, when I was at home for Christmas, my cousin had been deployed to Afghanistan for Christmas. With some brilliant timing he had called at the exact moment we had all finished eating. After we had all spoken to him we joked that this time next year it would be me phoning home!

Although it wasn't the most....normal of Christmas's it was really fun, and certainly one that I will always remember. But at the same time, I'm already looking forward to a normal, family Christmas spent at home. Especially now, since my Mother has promised that she'll buy extra of all my favourite food, to make up for me missing out this year! A promise that I am definitely going to remind her of when it gets closer to the time :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember such a promise - I must have been feeling sentimental!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go back on your promise! I'm looking forward to MOUNTAINS of pigs in blankets and profiteroles haha

      Delete