Wednesday 5 February 2014

The last of Windhoek - for now!

Finally the boys arrived. After the James incident I think both Daisy and I were pleased to have some more people around! We chilled with the boys for a couple of days in Windhoek which was nice. We went to Joe's Diner - the famous restaurant where I had a delicious Zebra steak once again :) One evening when we went out Ben was very brave and tried a 'Brazilian Breast Milk Cocktail' due to the fact that it looked like  a milkshake we quickly concluded that it did actually have breast milk in it......nice!











Our original plan for the holidays was to travel up to a town called Swakopmund and stay there for about a week, enjoying the beach. We would then travel to the boys project and spend a day or two there, before travelling into Botswana for around a week. We would then travel back to Windhoek before heading down South to Keetmans (our local town)  to get the Inter-Cape - an over-night bus, to Cape Town, where we would spend Christmas and New Years. How naïve!

The evening before we travelled up to Swakop a guy at the hostel persuaded us to go out to a club that he knew. So off we went. It actually turned out to be quite a nice play. Love was in the air for everybody else so I spent most of the evening chatting with a hilarious guy called Adriaan who decided that since I was English I should be able to teach him how to ballroom dance - unsurprisingly, it didn't end well!

He told me all about a colour festival that was going to be held in  Swakop on the 28th December. Literally a music festival where people spend their time throwing coloured paint all over each other.  Sadly I had to tell him that we wouldn't be able to go because we would be in Cape Town then. Still he told me that I should definitely try to go  - something that I thankfully kept in mind as the holiday progressed.

At the end of the evening Adriaan gave me a cute beaded bracelet which he declared I must have so 'that I would always remember him, and my amazing African experience!' It turned out to be a very good way to end our time in Windhoek, and my meeting with Adriaan definitely worked out to our advantage!


No comments:

Post a Comment