Wednesday 25 September 2013

The broom game!

One evening Daisy, Sachi and I were sat around at the table chatting when Daisy suddenly asked us, 'have you ever played the broom game?' We both admitted that we had not, and as a result we had a hilarious and crazy half hour begin.
Bringing out the broom from the kitchen Daisy began a very painful looking contortionist act. First she stepped over the broom and pulled it behind her back and over her head (simple enough). But then she continued, and this is where it got more complicated.
She then stepped over the broom and twisted one leg around the other - describing this is rather difficult, especially as I still don't quite understand how she did it! (As a result it's probably easier to look at the photos if you want to understand what was happening).

She then leant down on the floor and twisted the broom around herself and back over her head without ever letting go of the broom. It looked incredibly painful (and also pretty unnatural tbh) and it was no surprise to me that she ended up collapsed on the floor, clutching her side and complaining that she had pulled a muscle.



Sachi and I both watched this spectacle with a mix of admiration, horror and amusement (as you can probably see from the picture of Sachi's bemused face.) Eventually we were, of course, persuaded to join in and have a go ourselves.
Sachi went first but was unable to complete the act - she claimed that she wasn't flexible enough. And then sadly it was my turn. Unfortunately for me, Sachi picked up my camera with glee, announcing that it was my turn to be photographed (which is never a good thing).
 
And so I attempted to do the trick as well. The first part went fine - I can understand the concept of just stepping over a piece of wood and pulling it back over my head. But the second part of the act proved to be too much for my brain to handle.

I simply could not understand how my legs were meant to twist in that way, or how I was meant to move my arms! And my hands simply refused to turn in the correct direction - which proved to me that it is a completely unnatural trick to be able to do!!

But admittedly it was a very fun game to play - and it resulted in a lot of laughs (and a lot of pain). Daisy had suggested that Sachi and I should perfect the trick. Then the next time that Ruben and Anne came over we should all do it, and if one of them was unable to do the trick we could say 'but why can't you do it? It's so easy!' But we quickly realised that that plan was never going to work! And so the madness continued for another evening...
 

2 comments:

  1. All those years in expensive private education and you can't master the broom game.....?!

    pops
    x

    ReplyDelete