Monday 23 September 2013

A chaotic second week - part one!

Our first Namibian cloud!
 
Rain glorious rain!
So we have had yet another hectic week here at Tses! It started off with a lot of excitement as Daisy and I noticed our first cloud! After over a week and a half of constantly clear skies we were unbelievably excited by this discovery - as you can tell by Daisy's picture!
 
But the excitement didn't end there! The next day something even more amazing happened - it rained!!! (I should point out that the rainy season quite literally didn't happen here last year which means that they're suffering from a really bad drought,so this was genuinely really exciting for the locals). It may have only lasted for about 20 seconds but Sachi, Daisy and I still all stood out in the rain, arms widespread in glee. We couldn't help but laugh as we heard the cheering and screaming of the secondary kids from inside their hostel - I wonder what their reaction would be if they had to endure typical English weather for a day?
 
So the week of craziness continued from there! One of the hostel workers came over one night with her two children. I quickly kidnapped the baby and refused to give her back (I did return her eventually I should point out) while Daisy had to eat her dinner being chased around the front room by the toddler! Unsurprisingly I ignored Daisy's pleas for help and instead ate my own dinner in peace, laughing at her as the little girl dragged her around the house and chased her (I did manage to work up the effort to take some pictures though!)
 
It was a truly lovely way to spend an evening, and it was made even better by the hysterical giggling from the little girl (which is kind of a miracle because she normally refuses to smile, let alone laugh for anyone!)
 
That evening we also watched Sachi make an apple pie for the hostel worker. We only got a tiny little mouthful each but it was absolutely amazing and it made Daisy and I determined to make our own! (luckily we had some apples which we needed to get rid of!)
 
And so the next afternoon we made the apple pie. It was my first attempt at making a pie in my entire life and so I have to admit that I was feeling quite proud of myself! We were pretty much guessing on some of the measurements, we didn't have a proper mixing bowl or a rolling pin but we managed to somehow muddle through! And so later that evening we were enjoying a completely scrummy apple pie - and I only burnt myself once in the process! 

There were also the moments when we just filled our time with absolute rubbish. In the afternoons and evenings sometimes it's nice just to chill in the main room, to put on a movie, update our diaries (which we've both managed to continue so far) and do random things to entertain ourselves.

For example...one evening I ripped out every single crossword I could find in the piles of gossip magazines Sachi had. We've all been filling  out as much of them as we possibly can, and we've now stuck them all on one of the walls. This means that in years to come all the future volunteers can attempt to fill out more of the crossword answers. And maybe someday someone will actually be able to finish one! If not it still was an amusing thing to do, it decorated one of the walls a bit more, and as Daisy pointed out, it's created a strange kind of 'trippy optical illusion'.

We've also had plenty of visitors this week. Sometimes Daisy and I feel like we're being invaded there are so many people in our house! They drink our water, read our magazines, listen to Daisy's ipod and often have weird but wonderful conversations with us!
The obsession with our hair also still continues. One day Daisy and I were sat outside playing cards when a small group of girls came up to us. At first we attempted to teach them how to play 'cheat' but we quickly realised this wouldn't work. Instead of lying they would announce 'but miss, I don't have a card that I can play'!!!

In the end the girls simply gave up and started plating my hair (Daisy refuses to let them anywhere near hers!). And as you can see from the photos, it was rather a painful experience!!!
 

 
 









1 comment:

  1. Apple pie receipe.

    Peel,core and slice apples. Cover and set to one side.

    Make pastry. Mix 325g butter and 50g sugar. Break in one egg. Beat 1 min. Work in 350g plain flour 1/3 at a time and make a ball of dough. Wrap up for an hour and chill. Then mix in 140g sugar and pinch of cinnamon.

    Set oven to 190oc. Medium heat. Roll 2/3 pastry. Beat other egg and wet tin. Take pastry and line tin. Overhang top a bit. Put in apples. Take other 1/3 pastry, roll and put on top. Cut little holes in top to let steam out. Brush top with remainder egg and sprinkle with sugar.

    Put in oven 45 mins or until brown and crisp. Take out. Rest 5 minutes and scoff!

    pops
    x

    ReplyDelete